Friday, February 7, 2014

Social media dilemma for major brands


(image credits)
I am just amazed by the number of companies who completely ignore the power of social media to disrupt marketing campaigns. Take the Winter Games, which opens on Friday, as a case in point. 
With the Sochi Olympics marred by the anti-gay laws in Russia, McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Visa, Procter & Gamble and other big advertisers are being pilloried by gay rights activists for sponsoring the games. In a textbook social media maneuver the activists have hijacked the Olympics marketing with a well-orchestrated campaign.
Reference: For Coke And McDonald's, Ignoring The Power Of Social Media To Disrupt Means No Medals In Sochi.

I think marketing consultant Avi Dan overstates the point about "completely ignore."  Still, sponsors do have a dilemma: How to cheer Olympic athletes, advance their brands, and appease advocacy groups?

4 comments:

  1. Hi, this blog is really amazing and provide me answers to all my questions .This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same Web Development Company | Web Designers Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting discussion point to bring up. It definitely is a challenge. I run a nonprofit and we are kind of always caught in the middle of who do we support. We are limited with our political abilities but we have strong views on social issues. It is never an easy task to make everyone happy all the time.

    Jane Osborne @ Customer Finder Marketing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it true that bigger brands don’t need to take help of SEO services? But they got bigger with time and I am sure they also took help of some amazing seo company Los Angeles for it. I don’t see a way without SEO and SMM in today’s time. I would definitely go for it if I have a business of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete