Friday, August 8, 2014

3L rule and authenticity in blogging


(image credit)
In this 10-part Beginner’s Guide to Blogging series, we’re going to explore what makes a blog great and give you some structures and frameworks to help make blogging easier. Take from it what works and leave behind what doesn’t work!
Reference: The Beginner’s Guide to Blogging, Part 1 of 10: Blog Core Values.

This looks to be a really instructive series on better blogging, and I like Christopher Penn's 3L rule for helping us bloggers determine how good our content is:
  • Did it make us laugh?
  • Did we learn something?
  • Do we love it?
The idea is to hit a homer run with all three, but just one out of three - that is, a single - makes it likely that our content is good.  Of course, striking out - or worse, hitting into a double play - is part of the game.  But the important thing, I'd say, is to do your best every time.  

Whether it's blogging and posting, my overarching rule is authenticity:  Do I truly like an article, video or image, and am I genuinely interested in, taken by, or amused with a subject matter?  In other words, I don't blog or post, just for the sake of blogging or posting.  

Inevitably I do learn something.  Often I love it, but at least I like it.  Once in a good while, too, I laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment