Friday, October 31, 2014

Facebook: 3 pluses, 3 minuses


(image credit)
This week I offer quick hits on social media sites, that I use actively:

Pluses
  1. Facebook is the first mover, first shaker of social media.  The fact that it has over one billion users makes it one of the most staggering draw online, and that's intriguing to me.
  2. I've been on it the longest among social media and seen a range of changes and maneuvers by its highers up.  But the ease and convenience of its site in general are the best, and virtually any article, video or image I like has a Facebook share function.
  3. I've been many good friends in the past, and had meaningful exchanges, some of which I've collated onto my journals.  
Minuses
  1. In the year or two leading up to its IPO, Facebook made notable changes that, to me, served advertisers better than members.  For one, I used to get a lot of advertisement via my Inbox and a lot of invites via notifications.  I could delete them en masse, until it took away this function and I had to delete one by one.
  2. On the same note, about three years ago, I distinguished a page from a group, which was fine.  Except that friends, or anyone, it seems, can just add me to a group, without even asking.  I detest being roped into something I don't even care for.  Again, I have to leave each group one by one.
  3. Spam messages were streaming in steadily into my Inbox, and it aggravated me that reporting them didn't temper the stream in the least.  So I just deleted the conversation.  It's a bit better now, but I was baffled as to why Facebook didn't seem to revise its spam algorithms.

No comments:

Post a Comment