Monday, June 9, 2014

Avoid overly repetitive commercial ads




My friend and I, and scores of others, were watching the NBA Final between the San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat last night (Game 2) - and tweeting in the process.  I knew exactly what commercial he alluded to, and I agreed with him 100%.




I've been feasting on playoff hockey since mid-April, and through the Stanley Cup Final thus far, NBC Sports Network has shown pretty much the same set of commercials.  I haven't followed playoff basketball as much, but now that we're in the NBA Final, I've tuned in.  ABC Sports also seems locked on the same set of commercials, including this one for the Toyota Highlander.  

The repetitive airing has become quite mind-numbing and off-putting.  I don't know how well I represent these advertisers' target, and I don't know if my friend's reaction and mine are similar to others.  But they have to closely review their strategy, delivery and effectiveness.  Besides Toyota and the Muppets, it's Geico, Enterprise and BMO Harris that are tedious, unimaginative brands.  

Keep these points in mind, when you're designing and developing your promotional videos and ad campaigns.

No comments:

Post a Comment