Friday, June 6, 2014

Netflix fosters appeal and gains a following


You got to get it, to get it.
I've been feasting on NHL hockey playoffs on NBC Sports Network, focusing on the Blackhawks of course.  Over the last seven weeks now, pretty much the same run of commercials have dominated my "TV timeouts" and pre- and post-game shows.  I'm tired of a lot of them, especially the one with Blues TJ Oshie for Enterprise and Rangers Henrik Lundqvist for Advil.  But for some reason, I really like this hockey pep talk by Netflix and don't seem close to tiring of it.  It's that line "You got to get it, to get it," that, as a wordsmith myself, I just love.

Are you crying?
Usually by the time, my wife and I watch a film (DVD) I've watched it a couple of times already.  It doesn't seem to bother her at all, when I anticipate or explain scenes for her, so there isn't an issue between us.  Still I find this couple's situation very funny, especially at the end when she asks "Are you crying?"


I hadn't seen this commercial before, but I like it, too.  Two years ago, Kate Upton rebuffed a high school student's invitation for her to be his date for prom.  No worries, though, just as super-hot (but not over-exposed) Nina Agdal went out with him.  Whether or not this particular high student originated the idea to "invite" Netflix, these commercials offer us two very different lessons in promotional videos:
  • Draw on straight out wit, irony and creativity
  • Draw on social phenomena as Twitter and YouTube
I don't know to what extent I'm representative of a TV or online viewing audience, but judging from my reactions alone, Netflix is doing a lot of right things to foster appeal and gain a following.  These two lessons are not mutually exclusive, of course, as Netflix knows very well how to balance its avenues and integrate its talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment