Friday, June 13, 2014

Social media strategy is inviolably social


(image credit)

From the Working Knowledge e-newsletter, by Harvard Business School, comes this recent offering -  Secrets to a Successful Social Media Strategy.  It's a well-written piece, and describes the research and book by Professor Mikolaj Jan Piskorski clearly and persuasively.  In brief, companies that succeed best, and apparently gain a profit, are those that navigate the tricky balance between broadcasting commercial messages and engaging loyal and would-be customers.  Piskorski calls it quid pro quo - this, for that - which is neither a new or a secret concept.  Still it's very tricky indeed to carry out and make happen.

Quid pro quo is about give-and-take.  It doesn't have to be in the sequence.  But if I give, then I have credit for taking, such as messaging them with a request or promotion.  If I take, then I must give back in some form or another, such as a congratulatory comment or thoughtful contribution.  But it's hardly ever that cut-and-dried.  Someone noted that social media was becoming less social, and I agreed.  In fact I have agreed since I got active on Facebook five years ago: specifically, people were more likely to post and see, than truly participate, engage and converse.  

So keep social media social.  Pikorski distinguishes between "digital strategy on social platforms" (business-oriented, outbound messages) and "social strategy on social platforms" (people-centered, two-way street)  This is too pedantic and elementary, really, as far as concept goes.  Social media strategy is, and must be acknowledged fully as, inviolably social.  When I am on social media, I do my best to view people as people whom I would meet with, hang out with, and talk to.  The same sort of considerateness, reciprocity, genuineness and respect come into play.  

No comments:

Post a Comment